Friday, May 23, 2008

Pasta? Looks like barf but tastes good.



Last weekend, I accompanied some of my favorite research assistants to Stanford for an undergrad conference at which they were presenting. As my sister goes there, it was killing two birds with one stone, and between my sister and my RAs it was like total cuteness overload for me.

The first night (actually, I was only there one night) we aimlessly wandered around University looking for dinner. We were all in that terrible low blood sugar + super indecisive state, so it took forever to choose a location. Despite the fact that Hallie had vetoed Italian, we ate Italian (sorry) at Pasta? (The question mark is part of the name. What a terrible decision on someone's part. Not only does their website url have to be pastaq.com [awkward!] but can't you imagine the massive confusion as people are texting their friends "we should go to pasta?")

The ambiance was upscale but the prices were reasonable. My favorite combo. As I am still chugging along at this weekday fish+vegetarian thing, I got Fettucine Al Salmone - Fresh homemade pasta with smoked salmon, peas, onions, and dill in pink sauce. It came out and looked like barf, but tasted SO good. I love it when there is more sauce than pasta - soupy pasta is how I like it. So this was absolutely right up my alley, with the salmon so disintegrated it was more like a roux for the sauce. Also, I have been craving peas for a while now - one night about a week ago I was craving peas & butter as a midnight snack, rushed home from my office in anticipation, only to discover that Tinx had used them all for her damn pasta dish (still love you tho roomie).

Other notable events: Reese talking about how her grandma can drink an entire bottle of whiskey and be totally fine, and how this is also Reese's life goal to be able to do this...Giselle flirting with our cute server, but then totally insulting him by guessing his age to be 30 when it was actually 23 ("Oh, man, I better get some moisturizer" was his response")...calculating the check three different times for no reason...and the piece de resistance, which was my sister's gigantic oozing, weeping, slightly green blister on the outside of her leg, acquired from burning herself on the tailpipe of her boyfriend's motorcycle. I'm totally telling Mom!!!!!

Pasta?
326 University Ave.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
650.328.4585

No comments: