Monday, May 19, 2008

Sushi Deli 2



In the conference program book, it had various restaurant recommendations and it said "Sushi Deli 2 - $" Sushi with ONE dollar sign? Sounded shady, but my Chowhound research said it was a sushi hot spot. However, in everything I read, it said "GO EARLY."

So MoMo and I jetted there at around 4:45. Nope. Too late. There was already a line, complete with flustered hostess and grumbly low-blood-sugar people who skipped lunch in anticipation of their early dinner.

As a party of 2, we got in sooner than the others (in about 15 minutes) and squished into the sushi bar. I spied a "Sake special - 99 cents!" sign. Motherfuckin' score!



On account of said 99 cent hot sake bottles, I have very little recollection of the names of the sushi rolls that we ordered. The one pictured top - what was even inside that thing? I'll never know. Sprinkling liberal amounts of tempura crunchies ought to be illegal because it's totally cheating (because fat + carbs will make anything, even shit, taste amazing), but I'm glad it's legal (because fat + carbs tastes amazing).

Directly above are slightly out-of-focus (again, on account of the 99 cent sake) uni rolls. I believed I've blogged before about uni being sea urchin gonads, so I won't go into that here. Suffice it to say that the word "briny" was specifically invented to describe uni. Usually I dissect my uni rolls (eat the seaweed and yellow-stained rice first, then decadently slip the uni onto my tongue to cherish its taste all alone). But, perhaps because of, once again, that goddamn 99 cent hot sake, I threw the entire thing in my mouth with one triumphant stroke of chopsticks, and munched on the entire creamy-briny mess. Then, slightly relieved after offering MoMo the other one and being denied, I repeated with the other one.



We also got a sashimi plate, designed to appeal to Janet's Taste Buds with salmon, tuna, and yellowtail sashimi. The photograph was hopelessly disgustingly photographed so it does not appear here. However, the picture directly above - Ah. Now a roll where I can surmise the insides. It appears to be some sort of tuna, yellowtail, avocado, and [fake] crab concoction. With my favorite tobiko a.k.a. flying fish roe. Once, when I was a child, I very uncharacteristically indulged in some delinquent behavior where I took an entire container of tobiko that I found in our fridge, grabbed a big serving spoon, and scooped huge, heaping spoonfuls of tobiko into my mouth. Like tiny, sweet, salty bursts of the sea - pure heaven. Hey, a girl's gotta be naughty sometimes.

Sushi Deli 2
135 Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101
619.233.3072

No comments: