Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rock Bottom Brewery and Buggie Eggs



On my final day in San Diego, I had lunch with my sister and Bunny at Rock Bottom Brewery. It's a chain, but it's the lowest-maintenance eatery when you are with indecisive people.

To begin - the amazing gigantaquitos. Well, that's not the real name, but that's what they were like. They were really Titan Toothpicks - "Our signature starter combines smoked chicken, Jack cheese, peppers and onions in hand-rolled, fried tortillas. Served with guacamole, sour cream, fresh salsa and spicy chipotle BBQ sauce."

I quadruple-dipped and used all of the above condiments. The chicken inside squished out oil in a slightly unpleasant way, but the the shell was so crispy flaky lovely so I forgave it.



My sister got Stout Onion Soup - "House-made with our robust Stout to give this favorite a Brewery twist. Topped with oven-melted Swiss cheese and two focaccia croutons.". I was very distracted by an event I shall chronicle shortly so I wasn't paying attention to whether she liked it or not. In this photo the bread on top looks so incredibly burny crunchy.



I got the Mahi Tacos - "Beer-battered Mahi wrapped in three soft tortillas with our homemade pineapple slaw. Served with black beans, Red Ale rice and pico de gallo. Mahi available grilled." I asked for grilled. I ate an entire taco (cry) when I noticed some brown stuff on the back of my cilantro leaf. I couldn't get a good picture of what was going on, which is lucky for all of us because it will cause you nightmares.

The situation was this: bug eggs. Like a million rows of eggie eggs, stuck in perfectly symmetrical configurations on the back of my cilantro. [shudder] I calmly (I can be weirdly calm in such situations) showed it to my sister, who shrieked.

[I just googled "bug eggs leaf" to insert a photo as an example, and I fear I will never sleep again. Terrible.]

I flagged down a manager and showed him, and he became like weirdly catatonic looking at them. Then he started stroking the eggs with his FINGER! AAAAAA! I told him: "Stop immediately!" and he kind of ran off.



He came back later and said, "OK, well I just checked ALL the cilantro leaves we have, and I assure you that there aren't eggs on any of the other ones." Like I give a fuck about the other cilantro. Then he comped our appetizer and my tacos. I wasn't about to be settled with that so I also ordered a dessert - a seasonal one - the cherry pie.

It looked crusty and delicious but it was just doughy and pretty hard. I promise it wasn't just that I lost my appetite from the eggs.

Amazingly, I think I'll be back. Our waiter was cute and the app was crunchy yummy. And there aren't THAT many bugs in the world, right?

Rock Bottom Brewery
401 G Street
San Diego, CA 92101
619.231.7000

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha i just realized the funniness/irony of the name of the restaurant.
do you think you'll end up hating tobiko or you'll think the eggs were less gross if i said that the eggs kinda looked like neatly aligned tobiko?